Taking On

I was at the store a couple of weeks ago when I ran into a parent of a child I had in my classroom a few years ago.  We had a lovely conversation and she said soomething that's been twirling around in my brain.  I'm paraphrasing, but she said something like this: teachers can't do it all, and parents have a responsibility too.

I find this statement interesting because I think its just as much for teachers as it is for parents.  Teachers state often how they take o many roles~ nurse, psychologist, friend, etc.  Sometimes even the role of parent when they provide students with breakfast, clothing, and more. 

I have often wondered, and this parent's statement makes me wonder more, have our actions sent the message to parents that they are unnnecessary?  Undervaluing their role in their child's life and education?  It's important to establish and maintain a working relationship with families.  At the same time we need to make sure that we don't blur the lines of that relationship and completely usurp the parent's role.    

Comments

Popular Posts