Keep Going

I'm one of those unlucky folks who is diagnosed with hypothyroidism, more specifically Hashimoto's. One of the good things is that a few years back I pushed my various doctors to test my thyroid. The lab work just didn't jive with my symptoms: irritability, irregular periods, weight gain & inability to lose weight, depression, fatigue, temperature sensitivity, forgetfulness, brain fog, and an inability to get pregnant. Based on the extensive research I had done it was clear to me that I had a thyroid problem. Unhappy with those doctors' reaction to the labwork (within the normal range) and lack of reaction to my symptoms, I sought out an endocrinologist. Finally, someone recognized that I had a thyroid condition and was willing to treat me for it.

Despite my treatment, or should I say medication, I still experience symptoms. The one that bothers me the most is the weight gain and inability to lose weight. I've gained about 40 pounds, and the most I've ever lost at any given point is 10. Im also one of those odd people who LOVES fruits, veggies, and drinking water! Which is a good thing because one of the things I have learned about my body since my diagnosis is how it really can't tolerate a lot of processed starches: breads, cakes, cookies, etc.

So...I am pretty dedicated to living a healthy lifestyle. I drink gallons of water a day. I eat fruit, veggies, and nuts when I need a snack. I limit breads & potatoes to no more than once a day (if at all). I'm trying to follow this healthy guideline: 1/2 the plate filled with fruits/vega, 1/4 with protein, and 1/4 with grains. I walk and strength train 6 days a week. In doing all of this I am not hungry (YAY!) For three weeks now I've been dedicated to living this way, and let me tell you, I havent lost a damn pound. As a matter of fact, my stomach feels enlarged; the waist on my shorts and capris uncomfortable. But, I'm not losing hope. I know that I have to tweak things, maybe swap out my eggs for oatmeal (usually my fall-winter breakfast), which would also boost my fiber intake. I don't know, but I am taking this advice:
And in the meantime, if you have had success managing your weight with this dreaded condition I'd love any suggestions. Particularly, because I adore drinking tea (don't do coffee) and just discovered that my beloved green tea contains fluoride and can counteract the meds.

Comments

Popular Posts