Rethinking Rewards

One of the things that I cherish about my work with Responsive Classroom is the opportunity to write. We have a fabulous publications department that I have learned a lot from and hope to continue learning!


The use of rewards is a topic that often comes up when speaking to educators and parents about discipline. It's a topic that I happen to be passionate about, and feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to write about it.

Can I say how excited I was to learn that the article I wrote - Teaching Without Rewards - was the most read, commented on, and shared article for the organization! This piece shares my experience of replacing rewards as a way to recognize positive behaviors and efforts.

I was also pleased to discover that the next blog post I wrote - Public Discipline Systems - was another highly read, commented on, and shared piece. Whether you use rewards to recognize positive behavior and/or penalize negative behavior this post has suggestions for you!

Both pieces provide practical strategies for replacing rewards in your classroom and helping students become intrinsically motivated learners and community members.

Comments

Popular Posts